It probably isn’t a great idea to rely on Visual Studio and WPF for everything. That’s what I decided at the beginning of the week as a thin excuse to take another crack at trying GTK#. I’d considered using this as part of my final year project, but ultimately decided that it was too unfamiliar and that I could get a lot more done a lot sooner by using something I knew.
Now I’ve decided to take another look at it because I want to write something for the Linux OS I have on my computer. I’ve took a crack at some little, console-based things before, but I knew that eventually I’d like to make something with a GUI (I should probably take a look at installing Java on there sooner or later). Apparently you can run anything you make on the Windows OS on a Linux or Mac installation if you run it through the Mono Project software; it’d be nice to have some familiar libraries available when I get back to it.
It’ll be interesting if it works. Still, new framework, so baby steps. I’ve been writing everything in a new editor (Xamarin Studio) for a new framework so it’s not the most technically impressive thing I’ve ever made; so far I’ve got a simple box to store a list of strings.
Seems simple enough, but GTK# (a wrapping of GTK according to the website) doesn’t seem to have the same kind of simple layout as other frameworks. I spent a good while yesterday trying to figure out how to programmatically add data to and from the combobox; you can insert text, but try to get the text back and you find a CellView object (as I say, early days).
In fact I think it would be fair to say that most of the time it took me to build this (far longer than I expected for something that I could knock together in any framework I’m familiar with) was spent trying to puzzle out which of the strangely named features accessed the data I wanted. I’m a little disheartened at my progress to tell the truth. Still, I do intend to get it running on my Ubuntu installation, that was the point after all.
This is hardly the most interesting of posts, but, like with my recurring project, my reasoning (if that’s what were calling it) is that I should try and document as much of what I do as I can; it’ll stop me repeating the same projects over again. From this I think the take-home is that new frameworks will bug you if you don’t take the time to learn them properly (or if all the documentation for them is written in another language from a couple of versions back).